Monday, October 3, 2016

10,000 Years

I love the song "Amazing Grace". One of the most beautiful songs ever written, and a wonderful encapsulation of the gospel message.


I thought I should say that first before I mention that the last verse bugs me.


"When we've been there ten thousand years ... "


This is poetry, so maybe that's poetic license. It probably is.


But here's what bugs me: there is no night-time in heaven, so there is only one day. Therefore, there is only one year ... for all the rest of eternity.


I get what he's saying. That eternity won't be long enough to get all the praising of God done that we'll want to do, or need to do.


Maybe the poem needed something and "One really long year for all eternity" didn't fit the meter.


On the other hand, depending on your view of the end, years may be counted in heaven for at least the first thousand, so maybe this is a referent saying that ten times the earthly reign of Christ will not be sufficient time to get all the praising done.


Just something I was thinking about in church while we were singing another song.

No comments:

Post a Comment