Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Selling books

Someone asked me why my book was only available on Kindle and not for eReader or Nook. There's a simple reason for that: Kindle.

Kindle (and the people at Amazon) is very easy to upload a book on. Got something written out and saved in MSWord? You can upload it to Kindle as is. Kindle will use all the italics and everything and your book will be available in less than 48 hours. Uploading cover art (assuming you've created it) is simpler than uploading a picture to Facebook. Same with all the other info you want to put out there.

Not so with the other platforms. Nook only wants books from publishers they already recognize (which eliminates all the people like me who are self-published and--probably--most of the niche publishers). They have a "contact us" button on their web site, but they don't write back so it's rather useless.

eReader has a nice web site and a big sign/button about converting your book to a format that can be read on any eReader platform. It is an easy program to use and converts your book in a matter of seconds (did for me, anyway) ... and then it stops. There's no button or instructions or anything for how to upload your newly converted e-book to the eReader web site. An email to their "Contact Us" address resulted in an email telling me they were on vacation and would be back after the New Year. I'm not holding out much hope for an answer, but I'll keep you posted.

From an author's standpoint, my vote goes enthusiastically for the Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment