Thursday, December 17, 2009

Will there be more Garison?

I get asked occasionally whether there will be more stories about Garison Fitch? I don't have an easy answer, other than the following.

Garison and Heather both appear in the third book about Edward and Marianne (as Edward goes to see the one person he thinks should know the most about a] time travel and 2] his other grandfather, Bat). Still, Garison is not really a main character in that story. At least, not as I have it written now (who knows what may come?).

Garison Fitch also has a prominent role in another novel that is still just in the notes stage, though--as the notes would indicate so far--he is still not the main character.

Of course, there's also the story of how Heather and Garison met, which is in the third or fourth novel of the Bat Garrett series. No, it's not that I don't know whether it will be in the third book or not. The Bat Garrett novels are written, but there's a trilogy that's a connected story, then a fourth book that--chronologically--fits between the first and second books. I can't decide whether to b] release all four books in chronological order or a] release them at all.

In that book, Garison is still the Justice of the Peace in Durango, CO, and is called on to provide details about a death he certified a couple years before. His personality is quite a bit different from the personality in the "Time" books, but that's because this is Garison before time travel and this is the Garison who grew up in the United States and wasn't a Christian. This book also explains why Bat doesn't like Garison.

The question, though, is whether there will be more Garison Fitch novels along the lines of First- Saving- and Lost Time. I honestly don't know. I know those have been my "best sellers" and, believe me, I'd love to sell more books and make more money. On the other hand, I only want to do it with Garison if there's a story worth telling ... and I haven't come upon that, yet. I'm not closing the door, but I haven't seen it open yet, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment